Tabs

Thursday, May 16, 2013

We're getting a Schoolroom!!!!!

Can you tell I'm a little excited? Over the last 2 years I have tried different setups for our schooling and even though they worked, they weren't exactly right or convenient.

We started out with a schoolroom/playroom joint room, you can probably figure out how well that went. The other reason this setup failed was because the playroom used to be the formal dining room (which is fine) but there are no windows in there. I was going stir-crazy, secluded from the outside world.

Next we tried the kitchen table. This worked okay, but it didn't have storage for school stuff nearby, so I was bringing all our supplies back and forth and having to interrupt lessons because I forgot something we needed, also having to clear off all the time for eating. It just wasn't practical.

So, I made up my proposal, prepared all my arguments and got ready to talk to my Husband.
Me: "Honey, can we turn the living room into a full-fledged homeschool room? You see, the ......."
Husband: "Sure."
Me: ".....and we have to clear.....wait, pardon???"
Husband: "Sure. That's a good idea"
Me: "wait, really?"

The before:


Before it was a sitting room of sorts and doesn't everyone have their washing machine in their living room? The great thing about having a handy husband is that when something breaks he can fix it, it just takes a bit longer and he doesn't have a shop so, living room it is! This room looks out onto our street, big windows, lots of natural light, and I will feel part of the outside world. Our street leads into a dead end, so it won't be so busy that it distracts us either.

I moved some of our shelving that we had spread out around the house in there and organized it all.

After pictures:

I have organized all our books and supplies along this wall. I hung up our maps and another poster we had. Now, just to keep it neat.

I left the desk in there for me to use. The kids workboxes are under the window and I have since added one for Linebacker to do some totschool/keep him busy stuff. I Moved the chalkboard and whiteboard in there and all of our morning circle time stuff.

All we need now is our homeschool desk. I absolutely love Erica's desk. I vaguely described it to my husband and he drew up plans and is going to build us something similar, I am most excited about that! I can't wait to get the room up and running in the fall!

Now, I have a schoolroom plan and our study/curriculum plan for the fall is taking shape (more on that tomorrow). I love homeschooling!


For His Glory!

1 comment:

  1. Looks Great! I can't wait to get our room set up better. We have a lot of plans but just no time to get it done. I'm excited about my desk too :)

    ReplyDelete